Most people install garage doors and forget about their maintenance though they use them regularly day-in and day-out.
Here are some things to do if you want to see that your garage door functions smoothly without any problems,
Replace Your Metal Cables
Metal cables are used to connect the spring to the door bottom on either side. If you find the cable worn or frayed, you can let a garage door expert check it.
If you find the springs squeaking while opening or closing the door, make use of a lubricant. If the springs are squeaking continuously after lubricating, you may need to call a reliable garage door spring repair in Tulsa.
Remember, trying to repair the springs yourself without any appropriate implements can be dangerous since they are under heavy tension and can cause serious injuries.
You will find brackets on either side of the door to which the cables are connected. These brackets are under heavy tension.
- Examine whether they are firmly attached to the door. If not, call a professional for help. It is not advisable to loosen or adjust the bracket yourself.
- Newer models of garage doors come with tamper-proof brackets that prevent non-professionals from modifying them.
- It would help lubricate the rollers, hinges, roller tracks, and latches using a solvent like WD-40.
- You may also use a citrus-based solution alternatively. It would help if you lubricate the pulleys found on extension springs and the bearings that you see on torsion spring openers.
- If you find the torsion spring rusty and binding up, then you will need to wipe some oil on it. Once you wipe all the parts clean, apply a light kind of oil like 3-in-one lubricant to the components.
- If you find a roller or hinge getting struck, you can soak it in kerosene for some time.
- Make use of an old toothbrush to clear the deposits inside the cracks. Steel wool will be highly helpful in removing any rust.
- Once you wipe all the parts thoroughly, use a lubricant. If a chain drive or screw drive operates your garage door, consider applying the same oil to the full length.
- Check whether the weather stripping along the sides of the garage door is alright. You need to probably adjust the door if it is jamming against the sides. Under the worst conditions, you will need to replace the weather stripping.
- If your wooden garage door does not have a weather stripping, ensure the bottom is properly sealed or painted.
- You may also consider adding weather strapping if necessary. Spring or fall is an excellent time to attend to the annual maintenance of garage doors.
You have to make a lot of considerations before repairing garage door springs, and you might want to consider hiring professional technicians to do the job for you. Your safety is the most important matter.